Electrical Design Engineer
ASV Global is looking for exceptional electrical design engineers with a proven track record in solving complex problems and delivering systems to tight deadlines.
We expect you to be the engineer that other people can count on and the one that people turn to when the going gets tough. You should attack every problem with enthusiasm and share the team’s passion for quality, delivery and customer satisfaction. In return you will get to work in an environment where no two days are the same and where your contribution makes a real difference.
You will need a good degree (or equivalent experience) in electrical or electronic engineering, with a significant body of experience, preferably gained whilst working in a marine environment. You will be integral to the successful growth and development of the company.
About ASV Global:
We are a fast paced, rapidly expanding, world leading company specialising in the design, build and operation of Autonomous Surface Vehicles (ASVs). We operate in the Military, Energy and research sectors and build innovative, technologically advanced products to solve difficult problems.
Our UK Headquarters, based on the water’s edge just outside Portsmouth, Hampshire provides a perfect location for the development and testing of our unmanned maritime products. It is also the UK base for our electrical and electronics development team – a small, highly motivated group of engineers. We solve the problems that others can’t.
Our success is due to the people we employ – if you’re smart, adaptable, highly productive, a team player and relish the challenge that comes with solving difficult problems then ASV Global is for you.
Portchester, Hampshire UK (view on map)
• Designing DC and AC marine power systems
• Designing and integrating with electrical control systems for boats
• Integrating with supplier equipment
• Generating detailed 2D CAD production drawings and complete bills of materials
• Controlled issuing of drawings for production
• Design and prototyping of PCBs
• Writing documentation including user manuals
• Detailing cable runs and the hardware to support them
• Creating test rigs for prototype equipment
• Selecting commercial-off-the-shelf equipment and designing products around them
• Specifying cables, connectors, containers and other components
• Working knowledge of, and ability to work to, marine electrical standards
• Knowledge of RF equipment including radios, cabling, antennas and connectors
• Writing detailed test and acceptance documents
• Providing support to electrical and mechanical production staff
• Control system commissioning and testing (in factory and at sea).
• Factory and customer acceptance trials including sea trials.
• Working with sales engineers to estimate resources and timescales to develop electrical systems.
• Working closely with the entire design and development teams in both the UK and USA.
• Responsible to: Head of Electrical Systems
• Liaison with: All ASV Global staff in UK and US offices, sub-contractors, customers, suppliers.
Key Skills and Experience:
You are expected to have the following experience, capabilities and interests;
• Electrical or electronics degree or equivalent experience
• At least 2 years’ experience in a similar role
• High attention to detail and quality
• Must be able to manage own time and deliver to tight deadlines, creating and following strict project plans
• The ability to fault find, test, and interrogate electrical systems
• Ability to constructively express opinion and clearly interchange ideas and solutions with colleagues
• Well presented, motivated, practical and willing to go to sea for short durations.
• Able to work flexible hours and to travel when required.
The following attributes are desirable:
• Knowledge and experience of Ethernet networking, serial and CAN bus networks
• Knowledge of marine engine wiring
• Knowledge of electric motors, linear actuators and motor control
• Knowledge of good EMI/EMC management practices
• Knowledge of CE marking and documentation
• Experience in PLC programming
• Experience of micro controller development
• Project management/technical lead experience
• A keen interest in robotics and unmanned vehicles
• Experience in defence, oil and gas or ocean science industries
Experience of the marine environment, either through business or leisure activities, would be highly advantageous.
Dependent on experience
Please e-mail your CV with a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please contact us using the form below or by emailing email@example.com
To stay up to date with what’s happening with ASV Global enter your email address below.